Wednesday, May 15, 2013

THE PURGE: A Welcome Break from the Monotony of Ghost Stories from Blumhouse Productions?

Any horror fan who has gone to seen a horror film in their local theater in the past two months has inevitably seen the trailer for Jason Blum’s new picture, The Purge, directed by James DeMonaco and starring (big surprise) Ethan Hawke. If you’re not familiar with either name, Jason Blum (founder and CEO of Blumhouse Production) is responsible for supplying countless teenage boys with much needed jump scares to get their girlfriends into their laps for the first time. His list of credits includes Paranormal Activity (1 - soon to be 5), Insidious (1 and soon to be 2), Sinister, and The Amityville Horror: The Lost Tapes. I’m just such a huge fan.

Regardless, there may be hope. For me atleast. Look, I totally get why people enjoy these movies. I just don’t find them scary, I find them annoying, but I don’t want you to think I’m some biased asshole. I watch them, I just rarely find them good enough to warrant discussion.As mentioned before, I will review without bias and keep my own opinions from getting in the way of bringing you honest horror movies. Hell, I want to like them too, so it helps me as well.

image

Regardless, back to the main point, The Purge. Now, Blum did produce The Lords of Salem so I’ll give him some credit, but I am very interested in The Purge. My kind of horror is real. It’s gritty, it’s nasty, it’s rooted in reality and it could be happening down the street from you at any given time. That’s what scares me. While the basic premise of this film is based in fantasy land, it still hold the realism that I look for in movies which is “People are fucked up enough to do stuff like this. Someone could come to my house right now and do this to me if they really wanted to”. Love it.

Here’s the official synopsis: In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity-including murder-becomes legal. The police can’t be called. Hospitals suspend help. It’s one night when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking.”

Sounds pretty groovy right? I’d love to see Blumhouse break out of the supernatural that they seem so hellbent on sticking to, it’s just getting old. Atleast in my opinion. Regardless, you can check out the one sheet below and head here for the trailer. And as always, feel free to share your thoughts. I love to see what other folk are thinkin’.

image

- Rg Lovecraft

No comments:

Post a Comment