Tuesday, October 29, 2013

More HELLRAISER News Trickles Down From Clive Barker's Camp


Bloody Disgusting reported today that, in a completely unsurprising turn of events, the remake of Hellraiser currently being penned by original creator, Clive Barker, will in fact be rated R. Now, just take a second and picture a Hellraiser with a rating of PG-13. Makes ya feel funny, doesn't it? Well thank God that ain't gonna happen, but with all of the other doubts surrounding this one that is one that never crossed my mind.

Barker elaborated on his Facebook page, where all of this news is emanating from: “As questions are asked I’ll do my best to answer them, though as you all know making movies is a volatile art, and things seldom remain fixed. One question regarding the rating has been asked. I asked it too, and Dimension confirmed that they are purely interested in an R-rated picture."

In another interesting bit of news, when asked why he isn't embarking on an original artistic endeavor, he had this to say: “Somebody else asked why I’m not writing something original. The answer is that I am. After Hellraiser I intend to write and direct a completely new horror movie, which will mingle graphic horror and erotic content, to create an unrated film which will push the envelope of extreme content further than ever…

Now that I am very interested in seeing. 

But folks, let's keep something in mind. BD posted an editorial about this last week and I think it needs to be said across all mediums that are reporting news of the potential Hellraiser remake. This is not official. Nothing is set in stone. That being said, this is merely news of an idea that has been pitched, and Pinhead is not officially out of development hell yet. In the past week since this news has been announced I have been approached my hoardes of friends, and co-workers (all people who know my love for his film, and have love for it themselves) asking my thoughts on the matter, and I've told them the same thing. While it's very exciting that Dimension bit on the pitch, that doesn't mean anything. Think about the countless other films (especially horror) that were going to happen and then just fell by the wayside. 

Doug Bradley himself took to Facebook to share his thoughts on the matter as well: 

"Hi everyone! Just arrived in Orlando for Spooky Empire, to be greeted by the news via Clive Barker’s Facebook that he is writing a new Hellraiser script and intends that I should play Pinhead again. This is intriguing news, about which I know absolutely nothing. No one has contacted or spoken to me about returning. So until you hear from me to the contrary, assume that all rumors about me returning as Pinhead are only rumors.

Peace & Pain.

-Doug

This, of course, doesn't mean you should keep your fingers crossed. I want to see Pinhead up on the bigscreen just as much as the next guy, but we can't get too ahead of ourselves. That will only lead us towards disappointment and pain (but maybe that's what Pinhead wants anyway). 

- Rg Lovecraft

No comments:

Post a Comment