Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Lovecraft Rants - Fan Gets Throat Slit at Broken Hope Gig

 
As the only writer and contributor to this here little blog, you guys are going to get to know a lot about me. Atleast a lot about my opinions and my thoughts. Occasionally I will dig deeper and share a little bit more about myself, when I feel that something heavy, or important, enough warrants it. Today is one of those days. 

I was born and raised in the west Texas town of El Paso, and last night something horrible happened there.

According to Loudwire: "Disturbing news to report from Deicide and Broken Hope‘s El Paso, Texas, show last night (Oct. 22). According to Broken Hope, a fan’s throat was slashed with a box cutter during the band’s set." 

The 25 year veteran metal band, Broken Hope went on to state via social media: "BROKEN HOPE just learned a fan got their throat cut with a box cutter during BROKEN HOPE’s set tonight in El Paso. Cops and paramedics are all over the place. Please send warm wishes to this fan."

While I've seen conflicting stories on whether it happened during Broken Hope's or Deicide's set, it does not change the fact that it happened. According to local El Paso news channel KTSM, a fight broke out in which the fan was stabbed with a box cutter. Two people were rushed to the hospital and as of this morning are in critical condition.
 
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? This breaks my heart for a number of reasons because I feel that we should be past things like this. In a genre of music that has already been decimated by so many horrible events (Dimebag Darrell, The Station Nightclub) why do people continue to feed into the horrible stigma?

This feeds into many aspects of my life; even more so than the fact that this happened in my hometown, I am also a musician, and when things like this happen it shakes me to my core. I make music to foster happiness, joy and to put a smile on people faces. I cannot imagine what I would do if something like this was to happen at one of my shows. I certainly wouldn't be continuing on to play another show in Dallas the next night, the way Broken Hope and Deicide are. I would be fucking devastated.

I think about how many shows like this that I went to go see when I was growing up in El Paso, how many times that I myself saw Deicide and what would have happened if this had happened one of those times. It infuriates me, it makes me angry at the people who would do this; at how selfish and disgusting someone must be to carry a box cutter (of all things) into a concert venue. Why would anyone take a box cutter into a venue, if not with the intention of causing bodily harm with it? I understand someone carrying a pocket knife on their person, but a box cutter?

I'm sorry for ranting and raving, I doubt many of you have even made it this far down, but this has just made me sick to my stomach. It makes me sick for my hometown, it gives me a hatred for the piece of shit kind of people that would do this to someone, and I struggle not to let it make me think worse of the bands. This was not the bands fault, this was their fucking idiot fan's fault, and I just hope that this doesn't turn into another witchhunt, as Deicide claims to be a Satanic band. 

Please keep this fan in your thoughts, and please, please be safe you all. You never know what some sick fuck out there might be capable of doing. 

- Rg Lovecraft



No comments:

Post a Comment