Wednesday, March 12, 2014

INSIDIOUS Franchise Trudges Along - Leigh Whannell and Angus Sampson Divulge CHAPTER 3 Details at SXSW


It appears that the Insidious franchise is already starting to fall privy to the the tired franchise trope. It appears that actors Patrick Wilson, nor Rose Byrne, will be returning for the newly announced Insidious: Chapter 3. According to Leigh Whannell (writer) and actor Angus Sampson, the film will (which has a tentative release date in spring of 2015) focus on a whole new family and their whacky adventures in The Further.

Matt Donato at We've Got This Covered interviewed the two at South by Southwest in Austin, TX and was able to get some details surrounding the new addition:
WGTC: So you’re both coming back for Insidious 3 I’m assuming, as Specs and Tucker?
Leigh Whannell: Yes, yes, you’ll see some Specs and Tucker. [Laughs]
WGTC: So are we going to go even harder on the comedy, or will there be a step back?
Leigh Whannell: I don’t know, I always thought that a little of Specs and Tucker goes a long way.
Angus Sampson: Agreed.
Leigh Whannell: I think they were always meant to be side characters. Insidious was great fun because I wrote it and I wasn’t even planning to be in it, then all of a sudden I’m like, “Well, she has an assistant.” Then I was like, “Well, I’ll get Angus involved, how great would that be to have my mate come over from Australia!” So we ended up doing this thing and it was so fun. But I wouldn’t want it to be – I think it’s like chocolate. You eat enough and you’re like, “Blah, chocolate!” One piece is enough, but [Specs and Tucker] will be back and I’d like to do something different with them, you know?
WGTC: So my other question of course deals with the ending of Insidious Chapter 2, when Lin Shaye’s character sees something, and she gasps right before cutting to black. Did she see something from her past? A future demon? Where is Insidious 3 going?
Leigh Whannell: I don’t think we’re going to continue with that for the sequel. I can’t say too much, but I think we’re going to go off in a different direction with a new family, and not pick up from where the second one left off. I think Patrick [Wilson] and Rose [Byrne] have had enough punishment – we need to move on and punish someone new. I think that’s probably all Jason Blum would allow me to say, he’s comfortable with me telling people we’re not going with the Lambert family again. It was great to write because it was like writing the first film.
Welp, there you have it. Will Insidious be able to survive without the Lamberts? Franchises certainly lose a huge oomph when this is the case, but only time will tell. There are still plenty of teenage butts to cram in those theater seats. 




No comments:

Post a Comment